"cerami..."


I've had a hard time with the holidays this year. For a lot of reasons that don't need to be addressed here, it's just been tough to get in the holiday spirit of things. I can't get motivated to decorate, or even pull decorations down from the attic. It just isn't happening. Even now, I look at the bare tree in the corner of the room with the bundle of lights sitting in the chair next to it. The few boxes of ornaments I have also sit next to the lights, still unboxed. I know it's Christmas Eve but I still just stare at that bare tree and wonder, "Why?"

I just haven't been able to get in the spirit of the season this year... but my friend Rhandi shared a story with me that she and her husband, Mark just experienced that may help. It seems they were at the Dollar Tree picking up some Christmas tins when they spotted a tiny young boy, about seven years old. He was just standing in the main aisle looking around the store, obviously intent on finding one certain item.

He was completely by himself with no adult around or with him. Rhandi, wanting to help, stopped to talk to him. He asked her, "Where are the cerami...", his voice trailing off as he looked for the right word. Rhandi, with her loving heart, asked him "Do you mean the saran wrap or the ceramics"? Again, he struggled and said, "Cerami..." and his voice trailed off again. Rhandi pointed him in the direction of where she thought any ceramics might be and off this slight little thing went in a determined search.

When Mark and Rhandi got up to the counter to pay for their things, he was right in front of them with his single item. He pulled out his crumpled dollar bill completely waded up with three quarters in it. He was undoubtedly buying this little ceramic figurine for someone very special for Christmas. It was all the money he had and he gave it all to offer someone he loved something that meant everything to him.

He took his three pennies in change and went on his way, but it warmed the hearts of Mark and Rhandi as they just beamed at each other like they were his proud parents. It would have been so easy to ask him more about his gift, or just stop and give him the biggest hug, yet Rhandi chose to say a little prayer for him - that his heart would stay sweet as he grew into a young man and that the Lord would protect him throughout his life.

Their story makes me wonder if God is beaming when he sees us giving to others - and if we truly are willing to give to others to the degree that this little boy was giving to someone special in his life?  Are we - am I - willing to give everything to those around me even if I don't even get three cents in return?

Christ gave everything when He came to earth. He sacrificed all and came emptying Himself of the royalty of the throne in heaven in order to come to us in the weakest, most vulnerable form imaginable - that of a newborn child. I can't help but think God was beaming when Christ was born to Mary, knowing His most precious gift had been given to those He loved the most.

That is the image I'll hold in my heart the next few days... I pray I love those around me more and I am more willing than ever to truly give no matter what hurt, pain, or sorrow I may potentially encounter. The end result will hopefully be God in His heaven beaming because I loved and gave to the degree that makes Him proudest.

I doubt I'll get that tree decorated or the lights up any time soon. But I pray my heart is in a better place because of that story of a small ceramic figurine and the heart of a small boy that knew the true value of a gift given with every ounce of his heart... & I guarantee I won't look at the little ceramic nativity piece my niece gave me a couple years ago the same way ever again...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Column A or Column B?