I don't even know where to go with this

>Sigh< 

I doubt these thoughts go beyond the three people I know that check into this blog. I just see this storm on the horizon and felt I wanted to throw down a couple lines regarding this story. By the way, you can click on the "I don't even know" title to go to some related information about this... I hate controversy sometimes. 

This will be a big one. I was interested in seeing the new "End of the Spear" movie. Not chomping at the bit mind you, just interested. I had been much more interested in seeing Lord of the Rings and the latest Harry Potter flick because I knew production values would be at a much higher standard. Narnia? Fair adaptation, fair production values, but Liam Neeson just didn't do it for me as Aslan. Aslan's immensity, as portrayed in C.S. Lewis's wonderful books portrays, just didn't come across at all. Anyway, I digress. More to my actual point that "Christian" movies have a history of just being bad art. Anyone remember "A Thief in the Night" and the follow ups in the 70's? Sorry, good heart but just BAD art! 

Here I am in 2006 with the same (yet more committed) ideals. The historical story surrounding the movies is an incredible one. The persistence of missionary Jim Elliot's and Nate Saints families in reaching the very tribe that brutally murdered them (and three others) is an amazing story of commitment to reaching others with the love that Jesus exampled (I think I just made that word up) for us so long ago. Therein lies the rub.

Chad Allen, who plays dual roles in the movie is an outspoken gay activist. It breaks my heart that the producers (Every Tribe Entertainment) knew about his lifestyle but chose to keep quiet until after the opening weekend box office receipts were in. That bugs me almost more than other issues. 

The movie (from all reports) is not that good. The aspects of "bad art" (to me) overshadow the aspect of an openly gay activist playing the martyr (and his son) that eventually reach the Waodani tribe with the love of Christ. Jim Elliot's story is presented much better in the book and "docu-drama", "Through Gates of Splendor" a few years back. 

At least there was no pretense by the film makers with that film. PLEASE let it be known how much love I have for the homosexual community. No, I don't agree with the behavior and I do see it as a sin. I just don't see sin on a gradient level. I see the sin of homosexuality the same as the sins of lying, gossip, murder, gluttony, slander, etc. 

I have many friends and loved ones involved in the homosexual lifestyle. I pray for them all to know the love and gift of life Christ provides the same way I do for other friends (and myself) that are in lifestyles and practices that miss all that God offers for those that choose to follow Him.  Big or small, we ALL screw up and miss how God wants us to live. 

I'm more upset with the film makers than I am with Chad Allen. Chad is an actor (St. Elsewhere, Doctor Quinn) who (I believe) was moved by this true story. My fear is that in the church's rush to judgment, we would alienate yet another one of God's created that has been shown what the love of Christ is all about yet gets hammered by the very people that say they love God. Please God, don't let me be "that" Christian.

Comments

chug100 said…
(sarcasm)
THANK YOU Jason Janz for telling the rest of us Christians how to feel and act. Of course most of us do not have a mind so this form of guidance is exactly what is required.

I am looking forward to your reaction to The Da Vinci Code" film.
(/sarcasm)


This is the sort of person who gives Christianity a bad name. Rather than worry about what is done by someone else, practice the teachings of Christ YOURSELF and others will see that.
YITBOP said…
Hey spazzmo and friend...

spazzmo, I saw your comment about the three readers of your blog. Never underestimate who might be reading...or listening (as in the international radio biz...ya know what I mean...)

Practicing the teachings of Christ ourselves...being full of grace and truth, like He is...I guess that would mean extending grace even to the artists out there who make "bad" art (whatever that is...beauty is in the eye of the beholder).

BTW, who is Jason Janz? I know spazzmo, ain't he ain't Jason Janz...

YITBOP, Ty
Flabbyironman said…
the acting thing doesn't bother me as much as the bad art. give me a good movie first and foremost. I'll probably see End of the Spear at some point but it's not especially high on my list.

Popular posts from this blog

Column A or Column B?