Lost Dogs found
It's been a rough week here in the dark wood but tonight I had a tiny chance to get away from northwest Indiana and see some of my favorite artists, The Lost Dogs. Another big fan of the boys (in all of their inceptions - Daniel Amos, da, The Choir, 77's, etc.) managed to snag the boys for a pre-Cornerstone show in their little fellowship hall of their church.
Rein Bontreger of Reinforcements Design managed to get them to his church, Fellowship of Living Hope, in Rensselaer, Indiana.
I went with my buddy, Hippy, his wife, and their son, Levi. Our pal, Wally, would have made it but he backed out because of something called "worship practice". Wuss...
I read on the Lost Dogs listserv a couple days before about Mike not doing well physically. I read the details about the problem but it has to do with a lung infection and I know it's been tough for him on this tour. Stop and say a prayer for Doctor Love if you will. I know it's appreciated.
Anyway, the show was at this small little church in Rensselaer that might hold a couple hundred if you're lucky. We had about 100 people (maybe) and the show was one of the best I have ever seen from the boys. With Mike, Terry, and Derri up front, and Steve anchoring the madness from behind, this was just the Dogs at their finest.
Sonically and vocally solid, this "warmup" for their show tonight was outstanding and their show at Cornerstone should be amazing.
The jokes were bad (but hilarious), ballpeen hammers, welding masks, rapture practice, and "where is your Messiah NOW?" (Johnny B. fans take notice) all had their place in the show. There was a wonderful mix of classic and current tunes. Skinny never ceases to amaze me with the creative percussion he pulls out from anything near him, including the very box he sat on!
It was a wonderful night of music and time to reacquainted with old fans and make new ones. We even had a wonderful time of prayer for Mike. He seemed to feel better after the break as the Dogs ripped into a couple numbers with outstanding energy (again, and humor). The Dogs came out for two "encores" at the end. The beautiful "Rescue Me" from the Choir's new release, and the blessing of "Joel" from Mr. Buechner's Dream, delivered by Terry brought me to tears.
After reading that Jeffrey K. from lo-fidelity is hoping to turn the Wisconsin show from the day or so before our show into a DVD, I am even more excited to see how that turns out.
Even though I don't get to the fest this year, I had one of my highlights with this show.
If you're looking for a show, get thee to the fest and run to the Gallery Tent Friday night to catch the Dogs.
You won't regret it...
Comments